About the Museum
The Jack County Museum is an extremely old structure. The extra thick walls may be viewed inside where they extend beyond later additions to the house. There are 7 rooms with 4 being the original structure. Native stone chimneys constructed for the fireplaces in the front rooms are still standing and one fireplace is intact. The once wooden porch has been replaced with concrete and the wooden tapered porch post replaced with metal filigree.
The 4-H Club
This house witnessed the birth of the "Corn Club" in Texas, later known as the 4-H Club, in 1907 when Tom M. Marks was the resident. Tom was a talented, educated man of many occupations; school teacher, superintendent, public entertainer, construction engineer for the railroad, farmer, editor of The Jacksboro News and special county agent for Jack County. While serving as special county agent, he felt there was a great need for new developments in farming methods. After failing to convince the local farmers of new changes, he turned to the youth of the area and organized "The Corn Club" on September 8, 1907, in Jacksboro. New types of corn seed were distributed among the membership of 111 boys with each boy receiving one gallon of corn. The following year, 1908, the first county fair was held with an attendance of between 1000-2000 people. "The Corn Club" survived and became the 4-H Clubs of America and the legacy of Tom Marks continues today. The work he did in the agricultural field is recognized by the United States Department of Agriculture.